2013 STIHL MS 170
A lightweight chain saw designed for woodcutting tasks around the home.
The STIHL MS 170 is the perfect lightweight chain saw for homeowners seeking a great value. Compact, lightweight with just the right amount of power, the MS 170 makes quick work of trimming or cutting small trees, fallen limbs after a storm, and other tasks around the yard. And even at its great price, the MS 170 has many of the same design features the professionals depend on.
- STIHL Quickstop®: STIHL chain saws are equipped with a chain stopping system designed to reduce the risk of injury in certain kickback situations. It is called a STIHL Quickstop® chain brake. The STIHL Quickstop® chain brake is designed to stop the rotation of the chain if activated by the operator’s hand or by inertia if the saw kicks back with sufficient force. In some working positions, the STIHL Quickstop® chain brake can be activated by inertia, stopping the chain within fractions of a second.
- Anti-Vibration System: STIHL has developed a system for minimizing the vibration levels of handheld outdoor power equipment. The STIHL anti-vibration system helps reduce operator fatigue and provides a more comfortable working experience.
- IntelliCarb™ Compensating Carburetor: The IntelliCarb™ Compensating Carburetor is designed to automatically adjust the air/fuel ratio when the air filter becomes restricted or partially clogged and maintains the engine’s correct RPM. IntelliCarb™ uses air from the clean side of the air filter to control the diaphragm and flow of fuel. As the air filter becomes dirty and less air is available for the carburetor, the IntelliCarb™ system adjusts the fuel flow to compensate for the decrease in air flow. This is in contrast to typical carburetors that utilize this air from the “dirty” side of the air box.
- Ematic™ Lubrication System: The Ematic™ guide bar when used with STIHL OILOMATIC® saw chain will provide proper lubrication and less oil consumption than conventional methods. The system works because two ramps, strategically placed in the guide bar rail, help contain the flow of oil and direct all lubrication to the sliding faces of the bar and chain links as well as the rivets and driver holes, which in turn can reduce bar oil consumption up to 50%.
- Master Control Lever™: The Master Control Lever™ is an easy to use single lever, operating the choke, starting throttle lock and on-off switch. The operator must pull the throttle trigger before moving the Master Control Lever™ to the choke position.
- Displacement: 30.1 cc (1.8 cu. in.)
- Engine Power: 1.3 kW (1.7 bhp)
- Powerhead Weight: 3.9 kg (8.6 lb.)
- Guide Bar Lengths (Recommended ranges): 30 to 40 cm (12 in. to 16 in.)
- Fuel Capacity: 250 cc (8.5 oz.)
- Chain Oil Capacity: 145 cc (4.9 oz.)
- OILOMATIC® Chain: 3/8 in. PMM3
- Quick Chain Adjuster (QCA) (B): The Quick Chain Adjuster (QCA) (B) allows the user to adjust the tension of the chain without the use of tools. This allows for easy chain adjustment.
- 30.1 cc (1.8 cu. in.)
- Horse Power
- 1.7 bhp (1.3 kW)
- Powerhead: 8.6 lb. (3.9 kg)
- Bar Length Options
- 12 in. to 16 in. (30 to 40 cm)